- Place the host you are about to upgrade into Maintenance Mode.
- Now SSH into the host using PuTTY (or any other SSH client/terminal).
- Type the following command to open the firewall for outgoing HTTP requests
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
- Type the following command to upgrade to the latest ESXi 6.7 Build 9484548 (latest as of writing)
esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p ESXi-6.7.0-20201004001-standard
- After the update has finished disable the HTTP firewall rule by typing:
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e false -r httpClient
- And finally, reboot the ESXi host to complete the upgrade.
Once the host comes back online, remove it from Maintenance mode and you’re good to go.